How to install Android 4.4 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S2
Its been around a month when Google officially announce Android 4.4 KitKat for some selected device, firstly featured on Google Nexus 5 and out officially over OTA for some device. The list of devices which officially selected for this Update lacks most of the phones. Even, Samsung is still busy in rolling out Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for there top notch devices like Galaxy S3 and Note 2. If you have Samsung Galaxy S2, then it take somewhere around 2-4 months for this device to get this update if rolled out by Samsung in future.
If you don’t want to wait for the official update and want to get it right now on your device then you can install custom Rom. Many thanks to developers who did the great job to develop and distribute Android 4.4 KitKat based Custom ROM for Galaxy S2 users. The custom ROMs listed here for Samsung Galaxy S2 models are working almost fine but if you find any bug then don’t surprised.
For the last some weeks we have been publishing tutorials to install Android KitKat on various devices such as Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note and few more, and in this post we have come with update Rom for Galaxy S2. To install this ROM successfully, it is highly recommended that you follow each step very carefully. Before proceeding to installation steps, look carefully on below listed pre-requisites.
#This Android 4.4 KitKat ROM is only for the following Samsung Galaxy S2 Models: Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G, T&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-I777 and T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. So make sure to check the device model before proceeding any further.
#Your phone should be rooted in order to install this ROM correctly. If you haven’t rooted yet then first root it first and then install this ROM. The Rooting guide is given below:
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S2
- Firstly download Jeboo Kernel here (jeboo_kernel_i9100_v1-2a.tar) and Odin3-v3.07 program here (Odin3-v3.07.zip). Extract the Odin3-v3.07.zip to your PC. Under extracted folder, look for “Odin3 v3.07.exe”, and run it on your PC.
- Now turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Press and Hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at same time until Warning! screen appears. Then press Volume Up to confirm your entry to download mode.
- Connect your phone to PC using USB cable.
- Look on odin program, the ID:Com section will turn to light blue or green. That means your devices has been detected successfully.
- Now, click on “PDA” button, then find and locate “jeboo_kernel_i9100_v1-2a.tar” file. After it, make sure that “Re-Partition” box is unchecked and don’t make any changes to settings.
- Now click on “Start” button and wait until it finishes. On success, Odin will says “Pass”. You’re will restart it self, now you can disconnect your phone from PC.
- You’ve rooted your device but to use root access you need to install SuperUser on it, so download SuperUser zip file from here (CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip). Put this zip file to Sd card of your device.
- Now turn off your device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Press and Hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at same time until Samsung Logo appears on screen. You’ll be entering to recovery mode very soon.
- Under recovery option, select “install zip” then select “Choose zip from Internal sdcard”. Then find and locate CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip and select “Yes” on next screen to confirm your selection.
- After it, select “reboot system now” under recovery options and all done!
#Always, taking precautions are better then cures. For future safety, it is advisable that you make backup of your current ROM. If after installing this ROM, anything goes wrong then you can safely switch to back to old ROM. To make a backup, boot to recovery mode and then under options, look for “backup and restore” and then backup. Use them to backup your ROM.
#In order install this ROM with any bug or issues, you should have install latest CWM recovery on your phone. To install the latest recovery on Galaxy S2 follow the below procedure,
How to install Latest CWM recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2
- First download and install the “ROM Manager” on your phone through Google Play store app (Google Play store link here).
- Run ROM Manager app then click on “Recovery setup” and then follow the further procedure to find the latest recovery for your phone.
- Install the CWM recovery and you’re set to go further.
#Remember, installing this ROM will erase your device’s memory completely. So, if you’ve saved data on phone’s internal memory then first move it to safe place and then go further.
#Enable USB debugging, go to settings -> developers options -> check the USB debugging box. Enabling it allows your phone to be connected to PC for file and information sharing.
#The complete process may take some long time, so it is recommended that you charge your phone to good extent. It should be able to stay alive for the whole process.
Download the Custom ROM zip file for your Samsung Galaxy S2 model, to check and confirm your model of Galaxy S2, go to settings then “About phone” section.
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
- CM 11 Official Cyanfox ROM: CyanFox-2.0-i9100.zip
- SaberMod Omni ROM: omni-4.4-2013-i9100-INFECTED.zip (Download the latest built)
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
- Omni ROM: omni-4.4.1-2013-i9100g-NIGHTLY.zip (Download the latest built)
- SlimKat: Slim-i9100g-4.4.beta.1-UNOFFICIAL-2013-1722.zip
AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-I777
- Omni ROM: omni-4.4.1-2013-i777-NIGHTLY.zip (Download the latest built)
- SaberMod CM 11: cm-11-20131123-INFECTED-i9100.zip
T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
- ParanoidAndroid 4.0: pa_hercules-4.0-ALPHA-2013.zip
Download Android 4.4 KitKat Google Apps:
- Full Google Apps: pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131126-signed.zip
Download the latest SuperUser zip file here (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80.zip)
How to install KitKat on Galaxy S2
- Download the Custom ROM Zip file and Google Apps zip file. Put both the files to SD card of your device.
- Now turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at same time until Samsung Logo appears on screen. Then you’ll be reaching to CWM recovery mode very soon.
- To install this custom ROM successfully, you need to perform below resets:
- Select “Wipe data/Factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm it.
- Go back main menu of recovery and then go to “Mounts and Storage”-> Format System and select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm.
- Go back main menu of recovery, again, and go to “Advanced”-> Wipe Dalvik Cache and select Yes from the next screen to confirm your selection.
- Now go to “mounts and storage” and “format” followings: format system, format data and format cache.
- Now go to select “mounts and storage” and then mount the followings: mount mount system,mount data and mount cache.
- Now you’re ready to flash the ROM zip file. Select “install zip from sd card” then “Choose zip from sdcard”. Find and locate the “Custom ROM Zip” file. On next screen select “Yes” to confirm the installation process.
- Now flash the Google apps zip file and SuperUser zip file using the same step above.
- Now go back to main menu, select “Reboot system Now”.
You have successfully update your phone to latest Android operating system. Share your experience, bug or problem with us by commenting.http://gamotech.com/how-to-install-android-4-4-kitkat-on-samsung-galaxy-s2/MobilesAndroid 4.4 KitKat,samsung