Officially, it will take shitload of time to get official update of Android 4.4 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 but many thanks to developers who already doing hard work to get it soon. From developers, version of
CyanogenMod 11 OmniROM has been released which is based on stock Android 4.4 KitKat firmware. Currently, it is in developing stage still most of the bugs has been already removed.
Using this OmniROM custom ROM, you can have latest firmware on your device. You can flash this custom ROM using recovery mode on the device. With ROM, you need to flash Google apps package also, this ROM does not carries these apps.
This built may have some bugs and issues, but don’t worry most of them has been already ironed and if still some exists then developers are still working on them and will providing fixes very soon. This tutorial will guide you to update your device using this custom ROM with step by step fashion.
Note: If in any case your device gets damaged or bricked then we will not be responsible for that. This guide is only made for knowledge and education purpose only.
This review video of Android 4.4 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is presented by BelgiumTechVideos. Many thanks to him.
Before proceeding any further make sure your device match with following listed pre-requisites.
- This guide and ROM are only for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. So be sure to check the model number of your device. To check the phone model number, go to “settings” then “about device” and look for the model number. Don’t try this ROM on any other variant of Galaxy S3 I9300 like Verizon, AT&T etc.
- This Custom Rom requires rooted device. So in order to install this custom ROM, you need to root your device first then follow the guide further.
- Backup you apps and apps data, contacts, files, music etc., Everything you’ve stored in internal memory of the device will be erased. To make backup of contacts, SMS and apps you can use My Backup app. You can download it from Google Play store for free here.
- Enable USB Debugging, go settings-> developers options -> check the USB debugging box. This is step very necessary because enabling USB Debugging allows your phone to connect to computer for file transfers.
- Before proceeding to installation process make sure that your phone have at least 50% charging. If not then charge it to good extent then follow other steps.
[Updated on 25-11-2013] – This post has been updated with new, stable and bugs fixed release of OmniROM, now you can have almost stable and bug free built.
- Download Android 4.4 KitKat firmware from here. Download the latest version of OminROM “zip” file.
- Download latest Google Apps zip package for Android 4.4 KitKat here.
- Download latest ClockWorkMod Recovery from here.
To install this Custom Rom on your Samsung Galaxy S3 without any issues and bugs, you need to first install latest ClockWorkMod recovery on that and then flash the firmware using that recovery. So, to install latest recovery mode on your Samsung Galaxy S3 follow the below guide then proceed to flashing guide. Don’t skip or avoid this step, latest recovery is extremely needed to flash this ROM.
Remember: TWRP Recovery will not work with this! Only below CWM will work!
How to install latest ClockWorkMod 184.108.40.206 Recovery on Galaxy S3
- Download the ClockWorkMod Recovery for Galaxy S3 from Download section and put it to Sd card of your phone.
- Now turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Now press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power button until your phone get started. Now release the buttons and you’ll entering to Recovery mode.
- Now at recovery mode, if you’re on stock recovery(that comes with phone) then select “install zip” and then “choose zip from sd card”. Browse and locate the downloaded ClockWorkMod zip file and then confirm it for installation.
- After it installed, get back to main menu and there select “reboot system now”. You have installed new recovery to your phone.
After your phone start, then again turn off the phone and boot to recovery mode by following step no. 3. Now you’ll see then new recovery mode not the old one. Now you’re ready to flash the firmware. The whole process is same as like installing new recovery. I hope it wasn’t tough for you.
How to update Galaxy S3 to KitKat
- Download Android 4.4 KitKat firmware and Google Apps zip files and copy them to SD card of your device.
- Now turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Now enter to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power button until you see the Samsung logo appears. Then release the buttons and you’ll be new ClockWorkMod 220.127.116.11 Recovery mode that you’ve installed in above guide.
- To install custom ROM successfully, you need to perform below resets:
- Select “Wipe data/Factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm factory reset.
- Go back main menu of recovery and then go to Mounts and Storage-> Format System and select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm.
- Go back main menu of recovery, again, and go to Advanced-> Wipe Dalvik Cache and select Yes from the next screen to confirm
- Now select “install zip” then “Choose zip from sdcard“. Find and locate the Android 4.4 KitKat firmware zip file. On next screen select “Yes” to confirm the installation process.
- After it gets completed, go back to main menu.
- Now again select “install zip” then “choose zip from sdcard“. This find and locate the Google Apps zip file. Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm the process.
- After you done with flashing both the files, select “reboot system now” from main menu. All done!
Your phone will restart and you’ll be seeing new interface very soon. For first start up it may take several minutes but don’t get panic it is normal. So you have successfully installed newer version of Android OS on your Device.
If you have trouble while updating then let us help you!