Currently, most of the Android users looking a way to get their Android device updated to latest Google Android operating system. The new version bring tons of improvements and applications which turns phone usability to completely new dimension. Many devices such as Google Nexus, Galaxy S4 and some more devices are already getting Android 4.4 KitKat updates officially but most of the devices are remained untouched from it.
You may like: Best Custom Roms for Galaxy Grand Duos
We are going to use SlimKat Rom, it is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware and currently it is in development phase. So, there are some bugs on which developers are still working. Currently, no bug free Android 4.4.2 KitKat Rom is available it.
Currently following bugs and common issues are need to be fix in this Rom:
- Manual network search not working
- Portable WiFi hotspot not working
- No dual Sim facility. Currently, no offers dual SIM functionality.
If you’re looking to update your Galaxy Grand Duos to Android 4.4.2 KitKat then SlimKat Rom is good choice among other Roms such as CM 11 and C-Rom. Before proceeding to installation, go through the all pre-requisites listed below:
- This tutorial and ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S Duos GT Si9082 device.
- Make backup of current Rom. This is an optional but we recommend it. If anything goes wrong or the new interface is what you was expecting, then you can easily switch to old Rom using the backup. To make a backup, just reboot to CWM recovery and then look for “backup and restore” option. The look for backup option and use it.
- It is highly recommended that you flash this Rom using CWM Custom Recovery.
- Make sure to save your all data stored in phone memory. The installation process will erase device memory completely. So before proceeding any further make sure to save all data stored in internal memory of phone to safe place.
- Enable USB Debugging. To enable it, go to settings -> developers options -> check the USB Debugging box.
- Make sure your phone have at least 50% charging. It should be able to stay on until the whole process gets completed.
- Download the latest Slimkat Rom from here. (Download the latest build by looking at date)
- Download the latest GApps zip package from here.
Important :- To install this Rom successfully you must flash it using the latest CWM recovery. If you haven’t installed it yet the visit here to download the CWM image file. Flash it using Odin program.
How to Install SlimKat Android 4.4.2 KitKat Rom on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos
- Download both SlimKat Rom and Google Apps zip files and then copy them to SD card of your device.
- Now turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Now enter to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power button until you see the Samsung logo appears. Release the buttons and then you’ll be seeing recovery mode.
- To install custom ROM successfully, you need to perform below resets:
- Select “Wipe data/Factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm factory reset.
- Go back main menu of recovery and then go to Mounts and Storage-> Format System and select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm.
- Go back main menu of recovery, again, and go to Advanced-> Wipe Dalvik Cache and select Yes from the next screen to confirm
- Now select “install zip” then “Choose zip from sdcard“. Find and locate the SlimKat Rom zip file. On next screen select “Yes” to confirm the installation process.
- After it gets completed, go back to main menu.
- Now again select “install zip” then “choose zip from sdcard“. This find and locate the Google Apps zip file. Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm the process.
- After it, select “reboot system now” from main menu.
You have updated your phone to latest Android operating system. So that’s all about our guide on how to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos using SlimKat Rom.
Share your experiences of using this Android 4.4.2 based custom Roms. Let other people know more about this Rom. We will try our best to give solutions for your quires and questions.