Just few days back, Google officially announced 4.2.2 KitKat update for some of the device, and you’re wondering when your device will get at least 4.4 KitKat. No way, that the Samsung Galaxy Gio will get it coming time. Even other devices like Samsung Galaxy S2, and few more, haven’t opted for officially Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Most of people in now days, update their device to latest Android version using some custom Rom.
To update Samsung Galaxy Gio we will CanogenMod11 Rom, this is an unofficial built but good enough for daily uses. This CyanogenMod 11 Rom is based AOSP Android 4.4.2 stock firmware with some improvements and powerful addons. There is need to explorer more about CyanogenMod Rom, it comes with tons of customization and powerful features and improve performance to good extent.
You may like: Xperia Rom for Galaxy Gio
In this post we will discuss how you can update Galaxy Gio to latest Android firmware. To install this Rom, it is highly recommended that you follow each of the step listed very carefully without avoiding and missing any of them. Before going to flash this Rom, go through the all pre-requisites listed below and make sure that your device fits them perfectly.
- This Android 4.4.2 KitKat based CyanogenMod 11 Custom Rom is only for Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-5660 model. It meant completely nothing for any model and phone.
- In order to install this Rom, your phone must be rooted and latest CWM recovery must be installed. You can install Rom without the latest recovery. Rooting and installing CWM Recovery, both methods have been given below in this post.
- Backup your current. Just in case, if anything goes wrong or you don’t like the newer interface then, in that case you can easily switch back to old using this backup. To make it, boot into CWM Recovery and then look for “backup and restore” and then “backup”.
- Remember, the internal memory of phone will be wiped completly. So make sure to save all important data stored under phone’s memory to safe place before installing this Rom.
- You must enable USB debugging on your phone. To enable it, go settings, then application manager then look for development and then check the USB debugging box.
- Charge your phone to at least 50% charging. It should be able to stay on until the whole process gets completed. If it dies during the process then it could be very dangerous for your phone.
In order to install this custom Rom successfully, your phone must be rooted, and latest CWM recovery must be installed. Go through below steps to get them:
How to Root and install CWM on Samsung Galaxy Gio
- Download the Rooting package from here (update.zip) and CWM latest zip here (tass-184.108.40.206.zip) . Put both the zip files to SD card of device.
- Now turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons until phone gets started. Then release the buttons and you’ll be redirected to stock recovery mode.
- Now under recovery mode, select “apply update from sdcard” then “choose zip from sdcard”, then find and locate the Rooting zip package (update.zip). Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm your selection.
- When it get completed, from main menu select “reboot system now”. It will restart your phone. When it starts up to home screen then under application look for SuperSU app. If you found that app, it means you have rooted successfully. Now again turn off the phone.
- Boot to recovery mode again.
- Now select “apply update from sdcard” then “choose zip from sdcard”, then find and locate the CWM zip package (tass-220.127.116.11.zip). Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm
- your selection.
- When it get completed, from main menu select “reboot system now”.
- Download the CM 11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware from here. (cm-11-20131224-EXPERIMENTAL-gio.zip)
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy Gio
- Firstly download the Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware from download section and put it to SD Card of your device.
- Turn off the device and wait for 5-7 seconds after it.
- Now enter into the recovery mode by pressing three buttons combination shown in rooting guide above.
- Now in order to perform a clean and bugs free installation, perform the following operation using recovery options (all are compulsory and don’t skip any of them)
- Select “Wipe data/Factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm it.
- Select “wipe cache partition“, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm your selection.
- Go back main menu of recovery and then go to “Mounts and Storage“, mount the following: mount system, mount cache and mount data.
- Go back main menu of recovery and then go to “Mounts and Storage“-> Format System and select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm.
- Go back main menu of recovery, again, and go to “Advanced“-> “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and select Yes from the next screen to confirm it.
- Now, its time to flash the ROM file. From recovery options, select “install zip from sd card” then “Choose zip from sdcard”. Browse and locate the downloaded “cm-11-20131224-EXPERIMENTAL-gio.zip” and select “Yes” on next screen to confirm the selection.
- From options, select “reboot system now”.
If you have successfully updated your device with this CM custom Rom. If you have any problem regarding this guide, Rom or phone then let us know.